When I first started losing weight and adapting a healthier lifestyle, I knew I needed to have a plan. Without one, I would have ended up defeated and standing in front of the Starbucks pastry case. I used simple steps for making sure I would succeed in my quest to be healthier. After losing (and keeping off) 60 pounds for 3 years, I want to share my tips and tricks to help you on your path to success.
Let’s get started!
- Be Specific: Take a step back and figure out, why are you doing this? What would you like to change? Sometimes a little perspective will help you get the ball rolling. Jot your answers down and refer back to them to make sure you’re on track to succeeding. Sometimes all you need is a little reminder on why you started on this newfound path in the first place.
- Make Goals: Start small! Maybe it’s replacing your daily donut for yogurt, or deciding to go to spin class twice a week for a month, these changes DO add up. When I first decided to workout, I could barely jog to the end of the street. After a few weeks of pushing myself past that point, I was able to run around the entire neighborhood.
- Let It Be Known: The journey to a healthier life doesn’t have to be forged alone. I’m not saying stand on your desk and shout to your office, but talk about it with your friends, family, even your dog. You may be surprised at the positive reactions you’ll get from people. It helps to have a good support system!
- Visualize: Create a “vision board” with your favorite clippings from a magazine. Tack up quotes, ads, pictures of people you admire, race bibs, anything that you feel will enhance your newfound healthy lifestyle and goals. Your board should make you feel happy and driven when you look at it.
- Reward Yourself: Do you remember getting a gold star on your homework as a kid, or a lollipop at the eye doctor’s office? Small rewards can help keep up the motivation. New sneakers, dinner out with friends at your favorite restaurant, or a smaller pair of jeans are all great incentive treats to make the journey a little more enjoyable.
You can share your goals with me anytime!