AH, Fall, with it comes common phenoms such as pumpkin pie, lattes, and all things that make infomercials for jeans with elastic waistbands that much more appealing. This year, instead of succumbing to the tryptophan-induced slumber that comes with and surrounding Turkey Day, let’s shoot for a more productive way to engage with this season.
There are so many ways to enjoy the change of season, but here are three quick suggestions:
1) Hiking: Take in the colorful leaves and the crisp, fall air with a quick hike. Best case scenario is if you have a hilly, interesting trail somewhere near you. If not, take a walk around your neighborhood. A 30-minute hike would burn somewhere around 240 calories… The same calorie count for a small pumpkin spice latte!
2) Raking: Knock something off your to-do list and get in a good workout! Pick up a rake and get to work on your lawn. Raking and bagging up those pesky leaves for 30 minutes could burn around 180 or so calories—around the same calorie count of your average thanksgiving stuffing.
3) Apple Picking: Join friends or family for this fun fall-themed group activity not only gives you a great excuse to squeeze in some cardio, but you also come away with yummy and healthy apples (or pumpkins, if you so choose). Walking briskly around an apple orchard or a pumpkin patch carrying the fruit of your labor (no pun intended) for 45 minutes can help you burn nearly 200 calories… around the calorie content of a slice of an apple or pumkin pie.
There are so many ways to enjoy the season in good fun and good health!!
Here’s how to get involved with our initiative:
- Join the movement on Facebook here
- Use the hashtag #fallingintohealth on Twitter when talking about your favorite fall activities
- Subscribe to this blog to keep up to date on all of RemixYourHealth’s suggestions and tips on great fall activities, events, and recipes
- Check-in on foursquare at your favorite workout spot, gym, park, trail, healthy eatery, etc.